Sunday, August 16, 2009

Home-made burgers

When I finish my list of top burgers/burger joints in Bangalore, I'm fairly certain one of my home-made creations would be on that list :) No seriously, I don't love the burgers I make at home "just because I made them" - trust me, I'm the biggest critic of my cooking - I like these burgers 'coz they're actually good, and cost way less than what similar ones would cost outside.

In any case, this is how I made 'em. And as usual, no exact quantities, it's all 'run time execution', so I'll try to give estimates, but at the end of the day, it's up to you to figure how much you want something in your meal.

Ingredients:
250g minced chicken (was able to make 5 burgers)
salt & pepper to season
red chilli powder (optional)
garam masala (optional)
1 large onion
1 egg
breadcrumbs
A few coriander leaves

After washing the minced meat and draining out all the water, season the meat with salt, pepper, chilli powder and garam masala. Cut the onion into small pieces and chop the coriander and add the two into a blender (mixie) and blend until you get a paste. Add this paste to the seasoned minced chicken meat and mix well. Crack an egg into this and...that's right mix again. Finally, add breadcrumbs into the mixture and mix until you notice that the mixture is becoming dry (if it looks as if there still a lot of 'water' or it seems watery, add breadcrumbs). Keep in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.

After 2 hours, remove, and make patties the size you want. Heat a pan and add about a teaspoon or two of oil/ghee. When this oil/ghee becomes hot, add the patties onto the pan and fry for about 5-6 minutes on a high flame, and then flip them to fry the other side for the same period of time. Once the other side is done as well, poke a knife through and see if the colour of the meat inside is white all the way through. If so, the meat is cooked, if not, lower the flame and heat both sides a few minutes longer.

Butter your bun, toast it on the pan once the patties are cooked and cut a few onion rings, caramelise them, and you're good to go. I don't think I'll need to explain how to assemble these to make your burger.


2 comments:

Ree said...

goodness goodness! ur doing a great job of this!

Karthik Shetty said...

Thanks :) but then again, with the demanding nature of my stomach, it became a necessity ;)

 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William (personal changes done by me as per need) at 2600 Degrees